Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Now THAT'S a Zucchini!

Forget the pizza rolls!  Zucchini Pizzas are absolutely unbelievably good!
 
Remember that little squash I was so proud of?



 
 Well, this isn't it!







 
 
 



This is the zucchini that Noah's preschool friend Caroline gave to us from her backyard garden!
And in case you were wondering just how much of a size difference there is between the two!
I took this picture and had a Crocodile Dundee moment (yes I know that dates me)
"That's not a zucchini!...THAT'S a zucchini"!
 
I needed a truly great recipe to do justice to this generous gift, and thus zucchini pizza was born!!!
 
Ingredients:
1 large or 2 medium zucchinis
1tbsp olive oil
1tsp cracked black pepper
1tsp salt
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup marinara or pizza sauce
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp basil
Begin by lining a baking sheet with foil., and preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Now slice your zucchini into 1/2 inch medallions.
Place the medallions onto your baking sheet and drizzle them with olive oil on both sides.
Sprinkle them with your salt and pepper...
And roast them in the oven for about 10 minutes, about 8 minutes for smaller pieces!
Once they are done roasting, pop them out, change the setting on your oven to BROIL, and add a dollop of the marinara or pizza sauce...
Cover them with the mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses, and sprinkle on the Italian seasoning and basil.
Then back into the oven they go, this time to broil for 2-4 minutes!
keep an eye on them so they don't burn, basically we just want the cheese to get all melty and delicious!
Voila!
And just what do the critics think of this culinary extravaganza?
Gigi didn't say anything because she was too busy shoving the Z pizza into her mouth!
Getting kids to eat their vegetables is a chore...getting kids to enjoy their vegetables is a super power!
Shazaaam!



6 comments:

  1. I love your wonderful zucchini pizza idea!!! I can't wait for everyone's gardens to explode with zucchini so I can try this at my own home!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These were the thoughts that came to mind when reading this post: 1) That is a HUGE zucchini! 2) This looks YUMMY! I will need this made for dinner one night when we visit you! 3) Noah and Gigi will eat anything put in front of them! Why didn't their cousin have this trait?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was an enormous zucchini! I am inspired to try to grow them in my own garden again next year! And I will totally make them for you when you visit! You should come soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous use of zucchini!! I've been looking for a way to use some that were given to us. Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just wish it was this easy to turn other vegetables into pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just read this! So glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete