Monday, January 7, 2013

Scones!

It's no secret, as evidenced by the 3 Star Bucks gift cards I received for Christmas (thank you everyone!), that I love coffee!
But you may not be as aware that one of my favorite treats to accompany that excellent cup of coffee is a scone! 
 I once had a scone with jam and cream while sitting in the dining room of the Cliff Hotel in Ardmore Ireland looking out over the crashing waves of Ardmore Bay, and I have been in search of scone perfection ever since!
And I think I have come close to  achieving that elusive perfection with this mixed fruit scone recipe!
What you will need:
2 1/2 cups of flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tblsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup of butter or margarine
about 1 cup of frozen berries
 
Begin by preheating your oven to 400 degrees and setting your frozen berries out to become slightly less frozen...
Combine all of your dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl...
Now cut your butter into the dry ingredients and blend on medium/low until it's all mixed in...
Next you want to measure out your cream...
and beat your eggs, beat the eggs in a separate bowl from the cream...
And once beaten you can combine the two
Then add the mixture all at once to your dry ingredients...
Mix on low just until blended (it should look sort of crumbly and sticky)
Use your hands to mash up the dough a couple of times, then add your berries...
generously flour a flat surface...
And continue to knead your dough with the berries, just until the berries are partially mixed in and you can form the dough into a thick circular shape.
Using a large knife or pizza cutter, slice the mound into 8 pieces.
At this point you can sprinkle some crystallized sugar, or sugar in the raw on the tops of the scones to add a little extra sweetness, but it's not required.
(I would have added the sugar, but I forgot :)
Place the segments on a greased cookie sheet and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean!
MMMMMMMMM....
Now all you need to do is find a friend to share it with!
Done and Done!
 
 


4 comments:

  1. They look fantastic! Me, too! Me, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow those look amazing!!! My mouth literally watered while reading this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm addicted, gonna be making myself a batch this afternoon in fact! Thank goodness for my gym membership! Wish you were here to enjoy them with me!

      Delete
  3. I'm going to make these for my mother in law and grandma today. Thanks Vanessa!!!

    ReplyDelete