Saturday, December 1, 2012

Allow Me to Share With You a Sacred Tradition...

We take our annual Cookie Day celebration very seriously in my family...
From the early morning, pre-baking cup of coffee, thoughtfully brewed by Star Bucks...
To the precisely calculated pile of supplies needed to create multiple batches of Grandpa's secret fudge recipe
 (You know, Grandpa's SECRET recipe which surprisingly enough can also be found on the back of the marshmallow cream package!)
And lets not forget the obscene amount of butter needed...
Eat your heart out, Paula Dean!
It's a day filled with whirring mixers...
 precision chopping...
And lots of smiling!
And generally, it's a kids free zone, but this year we made an exception for 6 week old Scarlet...
 who charmed us all as she slept.
The tools of Cookie Day are many and varied...
And it's a matter of skill and precision to coordinate the cookie cutters in such a way as to leave no waisted space in the dough!
I mean we take pride in our work...
We don't skimp on the flour...
or any of the other necessary supplies...
And if someone wants to add a little amaretto to the fudge, we're ok with that.
After all, it's 5 o'clock somewhere...
Hmmm...
And  the baby sleeps...
As tray after tray of perfectly baked sugar cookies moved from the oven to the cooling wrack to the table, the assembly line of decorating commenced...
And sprinkles and sparkles were added with care...
Resulting in an abundance of enticing holiday goodies...
Despite the blatant sampling!
And through it all...
the baby slept!
Cookie Day is one of my favorite days, I wait for it all year!
And in case you're wondering whether I helped out in all the stirring and baking and decorating madness...
Here I am! 
Proof that I did more than play photographer, I mean I am holding a tray full of cookies after all! 
And I will leave you with a bit of a cliff hanger...
 As I wish to share a bit of this special day with you all, this week I will share my grandmother's Kliner cookie recipe.
This cookie is elegant simplicity; a captured moment of peaceful bliss, light and soft, warm and delicious, this cookie is coffee's best friend!
So stay tuned later in the week when I share my grandmother's recipe for the perfect moment!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment